Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 14: Experiencing God in your Life


Day 14: Experiencing God in your Life

The reason why I am a Christian: “The Hound of Heaven”

I don’t believe in God because I was born and raised as a Christian, or because my family in Christian. In fact, I don’t believe in God even because of “Apologetics” or the defense of the Christian Faith and the myriad of evidences that exist to support belief in God: The Design argument Theory, the Moral Argument Theory, etc. While these arguments help a person believe in the existence of God, they are not the real reason why “I am a Christian.” “Why am I a Christian?” Simple. In the words of John Stott, it is because of the “Hound of Heaven.” I am a Christian today because one day God came looking for me and knocked on the door of my heart. Even though the analogy is imperfect, God, like a benevolent seeking Canine who seeks to save lives of those who are injured lost and hurt, came from Heaven to seek and save me. The best example is to compare “The Hound of Heaven” to a St. Bernard or Husky who seek for lost hikers in the snowy mountains or Alps. Ultimately, that is why I am a Christian. I love God today, because He first loved me. I am a Christian today, because “The Hound of Heaven” never gave up on me, but came to my heart seeking to save him who was lost. Thank you Lord! I will never be grateful enough in this lifetime or in the lifetime to come. Cheers!

My Response

As you reflect on the reason why you are a Christian too, I suspect your answer may be similar to mine. God is a Romantic Lover who is endlessly seeking to find His Lost Lover: You! God loves you, this I know, for the Bible tells me so. I can’t explain God’s love, but I believe it. I can’t reproduce God’s love in a laboratory, but I can point them to the story of a crucified, risen, and soon coming Savior! When I was sixteen, God knocked on the door of my heart and I said yes! And boy, and I grateful I said yes! Others were knocking on the door of my heart too! Mr. Tobacco came knocking but I said no! Mr. Alcohol came knocking and I said no! I even had a gentleman offer me $240.00 if I became a male prostitute! Other friends I know said yes, and some got “caught up in that lifestyle” and died of AIDS, syphilis, and ghonorrhea. By God’s grace I said “no” at age sixteen, even though I was broke, and especially because I am a male heterosexual. But others said no. My life would be completely different today had I said yes to any of those voices. I would be dead today, and not writing this blog.

Think about it. The God of the Universe came seeking you and wants to have a love relationship with you. He is the “Hound of Heaven”. Are you ready to answer his call today? I’m not talking about a superficial decision, like standing up in church just because everyone else is. I’m talking about surrendering your entire life to Jesus Christ. Making Him the first and the last, and the best in everything in your life. It’s not an easy decision to make. In fact, it can be fearful at times. I wonder if most people today don’t give their life to Jesus because they are afraid of losing control of their life. After living 33 years in this world, let me tell you, your plans and dreams are not worthy living for. Instead, live our God’s dreams and purposes for your life. His are far better and satisfying!

Conclusion

Today is the Sabbath day of the Lord your God. What an appropriate day to dedicate and renew your life commitment to the God who came seeking to save you when you were lost. If you have backslidden or have fallen back into sin, Jesus is right there next to you extending His hand to pull you out of sin and to place your feet on the straight and narrow path that leads to Heaven and eternal life. Won’t you accept His hand today?

Practical Steps to take today

  1. Get on your knees and all Fours. Today is no longer the time to play church or to pretend to be a Christian. Give your life completely to God in prayer.

  1. Meditate on how God has been Pursuing you Relentlessly in your life so far. Make a chart on a piece of paper of your life and your spiritual journey. See the wonderful ways God has led you in the past and present.

  1. Choose one person today who you can share you “testimony” with. Share the story of How God has changed your life, and what a difference it has made in your life. Don’t tell them what God has done for others; instead tell them what God has done for you!

  1. Grow in your relationship with the “Hound of Heaven.” God loves you. He died for you. He wants to have a relationship with you. Talk to him every day in prayer, and have him talk to you every day in Word of God, the Bible.

  1. Rejoice in knowing Jesus as your Savior. Philippians 4:4


 ~ Pastor Sal Garcia

No comments:

Post a Comment

El diablo no descanse Durante una Pandemia. Y nosotros, si lo haremos?

Haz notado algo? Durante la pandemia del COVID-19, se sigue cumpliendo la escritura: “ y por haberse multiplicado la maldad, el amor de much...